Sean Callahan Inspiration Award
Sean Callahan, a member of the 2015 12U Mahopac Indians, represented the best qualities in us all. He was quiet and shy until you got to know him. He had a larger than life smile that warmed you when you saw it. As a football player he was the smallest on the team, not very fast, and had many ailments that limited him. He was disgraphic, dyslexic, and legally deaf, making it difficult to line up properly, read a playbook, and hear snap counts and coaches. He played with one lung and battled with cancer on and off for ten years. He was quick t get out of breath and the constant treatments of chemo and radiation took its toll on his body. All that said, he attended every practice that he could, getting upset when coaches would pull him out. He would routinely jump back into plays and drills. He did manage to always line up correctly, hear and see what he could, and give his best effort on every play. He just wanted to be on the field, with his friends and teammates, and play football. Sean did not score touchdowns or make the big hit, but he did INSPIRE those around him to be better. To work harder. To make a difference on and off the field.
The TYFC is extremely proud to honor Sean with an annual award in his name effective the 2016 season. This award will be given to a player within the TYFC that best embodies the following:
- A player that respects the game of football, his coaches, and teammates on and off the field
- Has excellent attendance at practice and games
- Shows up to every practice with enthusiasm and works as hard as his body will allow
- Does not have to be the most talented player on the team
- During a game, he watches each play and cheers on his teammates
- Is considered an integral part of the team; the heart / soul / passion of the team
- His love of the game is felt by others
- Genuinely supports and compliments his teammates
- He loves and defends the name of the town they honorably represent on their jersey
Nominees will be accepted from each organization beginning in October of each season with winners being awarded annually at our league championship games.
Please click on the link below to access the nomination form.
http://files.LeagueAthletics.com/Images/Club/15387/Sean Callahan Inspiration Award Form.docx